Historic Landmarks in Louisville Ky

Louisville, Kentucky is a beautiful city full of historical sites, homes and monuments. When planning a trip to Louisville, be sure to plan to spend some time within the history of the South. Visit the many Antebellum homes, monuments, plantations.

A large part of the historical side of Louisville is in the historic homes throughout the city. Visit the Historical Homes Foundation for tours, contacts and information regarding Farmington, Thomas Edison House and Whitehall.

Waverly Hills Sanatorium

Waverly Hills Sanatorium is not just the latest craze for ghosthunters and paranormal researchers. Waverly Hills has a history dating back to 1883, when Major Thomas Hays purchased the land it was built on and built a one room school for his daughters. The teacher he hired for his daughters, Lizzie Lee Harris, named the school Waverley School because of her love of the Waverley Novels. Major Hays kept the name, and gave the name to his entire piece of land.

The Board of Tuberculosis Hospital kept the name when it purchased the land. The original Sanatorium was built in 1908 and opened in 1910. The building seen today was an expansion to the original clinic. Construction began in 1924, with the building opening in 1926. The tuberculosis hospital closed in 1961 with the discovery of the antibiotic that treated tuberculosis. In 1962, the building was renovated and reopened as the Woodhaven Medical Services geriatric facility. It was closed by the state in 1980.

Tours are given at night, by appointment and deposit only. Full prices, times and rules and regulations can be found at their website, http://www.therealwaverlyhills.com/Tours/waverlyguide.shtml

Full history, pictures and other information can be found at their website as well, http://www.therealwaverlyhills.com/

Frankfort Avenue

Take a guided tour of an historic neighborhood. Frankfort Avenue was once a pathway traveled by Native Americans and buffalo herds. A tollgate was used to collect tolls of travelers along the turnpike. Saloons, grocery stores, taverns, livery stables and blacksmith shops were once on the other side of the tollgate.

Historic buildings, art shops, restaurants, parades, activities, as well as numerous other facilities are available to occupy the tourist for the day or the afternoon.

Further information is available at http://www.frankfortave.com/home/index.php?&MMN_position=88:88

Historic Locust Grove

Locust Grove, built in 1790 on 694 acres, was the home of William and Lucy Clark Croghan (pronounced Crawn). With family ties to William Clark, who traveled with Meriwether Lewis, the house and land hold historic architecture for Kentucky, craftsmanship and historical value. The house has survived the 1811 New Madrid earthquake and a tornado in 1883.

Hours: Monday through Saturday, 10 am to 4:30 pm, Sunday 1 pm to 4:30 pm. The last tour begins at 3:15 pm. The Grove is closed for all major holidays, as well as one week in January.

Cost: Adults $8, Seniors $7, Children 6-12 years $4

A list of upcoming events, contact information as well as directions can be found at the website http://locustgrove.org/index.htm